Please Sponsor us

Please Sponsor us
Click on the logo and donate, thanks.

Monday 18 January 2010

Little Sausage

When I was but a little chap sitting on the settee eating garlic sausage sandwiches (I know, my family was ahead of their time up north in the 1980's in our free thinking commune, we were radical) and watching the wrestling with Big Daddy and Giant Haystacks of a Saturday afternoon(not that radical it would seem) I was known affectionately by mother under many names. My favourite was little mushroom, but, I was also known as little sausage, and, it was this name that came leaping back to me from the mists of time as Ant and I went out for our first "long" run of our training campaign.

You see, after only 4 years, I, this very weekend, went out and bought some proper running clothing. With the help of a gift voucher given to me by the ViceHolt crew for my birthday (yes I know it was in June!) I managed to buy some running leggings and a long sleeve top. Putting these along with my excellent new running socks (Thanks Ethan and Felix) and jacket (Thanks Emma and Alex) I am now excellently kitted out.

The only trouble with good running gear is apparently it has to be tight fitting. Wedging yourself into it isn't graceful and as I squeezed my stomach and legs into this clothing I couldn't help but think my mums childhood prophecy had come true. I am that sausage shaped human being. I definitely felt like, well lets say, "supported." Or, "trussed up like a good en" is another way of putting it. I was half expecting someone to shout out, "Hey sausage, nice running outfit!" I had to have a little chuckle to myself running around the centre of town. What a sight to behold!

That's one good thing about running, it's a great leveler when it comes to how you look. You can't worry about it. Even Julie Christie in her heyday would have looked like a wet despondent wookie after a seven mile run.


Crammed into tight running gear looking like a little sausage
Sweating like six little sausages in their packaging on a hot summers day
Cold weather. Little sausage? Oh yes.

Seven miles done.

Simon

1 comment:

  1. Other names she used to call you behind your back were "Little Nobhead, Walnut Bellend and Anus Muncher". I used to tell her off for it but you know how she was!

    ReplyDelete